Muscular Dystrophy UK
Campaign: Focus on Disability Benefits
At Muscular Dystrophy UK we know that accessing appropriate disability benefits and care packages is essential to people with disabilities living their lives with independence and dignity. Currently however, the process of accessing disability benefits is inflicting huge mental and financial strain on families across the UK.
With OneFamily’s support our ‘Focus on Disability Benefits’ campaign aims to ensure that people with muscle-wasting conditions, and indirectly all those with complex disabilities, can access fair and informed assessments for support that meets their needs.
‘It’s important to continue campaigning for fair assessments, and to bring attention to these issues.’ David Gale, supporter and Motability campaigner
Who are we
‘Muscular Dystrophy’ is the collective term for 60+ rare conditions which cause progressive weakening and wasting of muscles, and ever increasing disability in over 70,000 people across the UK – for which no cures currently exist.
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity leading the way in bringing individuals, families and professionals together to beat muscle-wasting conditions by:
- driving high quality research to find effective treatments and cures
- ensuring everyone has the specialist care and support they need, with the right help at the right time
- providing a range of services to help individuals and their families live as independently as possible
Our vision is a world with effective treatments and cures for all muscle-wasting conditions, and where there are no limits on the lives of individuals and families affected. We aim to make this a reality, and improve the independence and quality of life of all those affected by muscular dystrophy.
- Caring: we care about everyone affected by muscle-wasting conditions.
- Inclusive: we are working to ensure there is support and treatment for everyone living with muscle-wasting conditions in the UK.
- Collaborative: we work in partnership across the UK and internationally to maximise our impact.
- Driven: everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life for individuals and families; we won’t stop until effective treatments and cures are found for all muscle-wasting conditions.
- Determined: we have been leading the fight against muscle-wasting conditions for over 50 years and are unwavering in our commitment to unite resources and achieve our vision.